Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Spunky Attacks!

A gentle breeze is blowing as sunlight filters through the bare winter limbs of an Oak tree that stands in my backyard. I am sitting in my favorite wicker rocker, reading and listening to music while enjoying the unusually warm February day. My cats, two large white alley cats named, Spunky and Icebox, are under the tree playing their favorite game of stalking birds as they perch on the birdbath. The day is going well, and I am thinking how nice it would be to have many days like today.

Without warning, Spunky leaps from behind a planter, where he has been hiding, and catches a Sparrow as it flies from the birdbath. My peaceful thoughts suddenly turn to thoughts of terror. Spunky is now wrestling with the screeching Sparrow, his brother Icebox, and I are watching the action. I am in horror knowing that a painful death awaits the Sparrow, and I am certain Icebox is already tasting leftover Sparrow. Spunky has the bird hanging upside down from his mouth while wings are flapping and other Sparrows are attacking in a desperate effort to free their captive friend. I want to make Spunky release the bird, yet I know this is mother nature in action.

My mind is racing for a quick answer to a serious situation which is about to turn tragic. Spunky carries the flapping bird to the patio and clamps it to the ground with both paws. Do I yell at Spunky and make him release the Sparrow, or do I let him carry out natures oldest and cruelest match. The Sparrow is desperately trying to get away as Spunky is clamping down even harder. Finally, the Sparrow is freed by attacking friends, as Spunky looks away for a brief moment. The bird is able to scamper to a fence post where it lands for a few seconds before flying away.

Spunky is now looking at me as if it is my fault that his catch is lost. Icebox is sniffing around the area where Spunky had the Sparrow clamped to the ground, and I am relieved that everyone came out of the struggle without injury. Spunky begins a desperate search for his lost bird, as I try to decide what to do if this happens again.

Wow, what a brief few seconds! Even in our domesticated world, mother nature is still carried out as it has been since the beginning. I just hope I do not come face-to-face with it again any time soon.

No comments: