Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I Didn't Need This.

I am living proof that a lifetime of severe disability does not insulate one from a different, and equally severe medical problem. I have had Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, since I was seven years old. I have been confined to a wheelchair, since I was ten years old. So, when I was recently diagnosed with Prostate cancer, I was shocked.

My Doctor called in early October with the news. "You have Prostate cancer," he said. "Come in for a visit in the next week or so. We need to discuss your options for treatment."

I was angry, sad, and in complete disbelief. I've paid my dues, I thought. This cannot happen to me. I have suffered enough in my lifetime; I could not finish my lunch.

After a few days of emotional swings, and a visit to my doctor, I knew it was time to start the task of exploring my options for killing the cancer. Options that included: surgery, radiation, radiation seed implants, hormone therapy, and believe it or not, not treating the cancer at all. The later called, 'Watchful waiting.'

I quickly concluded that cancer is not only a devastating disease, but it is equally a big business. Everyone involved competes for your medical dollars. The surgeon recommends surgery, the Radiation Oncologist recommends radiation, and my primary care physician stated, "all leading treatments are statistically equal." Ultimately, I would have assistance in making my decision.

After researching the options, I decided on surgery. The surgeon made a good case -- the cancer was probably confined to the prostate gland -- surgery would end it once and for all. I would be cured. However, because of severe arthritis in my cervical spine I requested the surgeon contact my neurosurgeon that has followed my neck problems. The neurosurgeon said that surgery would be risky and may cause problems in my neck. He said surgery could be done only if I was intubated nasally, while awake. An extremely unpleasant experience, and potentially risky procedure. Ultimately, I canceled the scheduled surgery hours before the procedure. The second best treatment option would be IMRT (Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy) done at the local cancer center. IMRT it is...

IMRT is not without side effects: fatigue, damage to surrounding tissue, cramps, and other extremely unpleasant problems. Also, it requires forty-three daily treatments at the cancer center. Each day (Monday-Friday) for the past two months I have trekked to the cancer center for my IMRT treatments. I have eight treatments remaining, so I have made good progress, with moderate side effects.

However, back to my original thoughts: Why me? Don't I deserve a break? I didn't need this. I have always heard the saying, "Life is cruel, and then you die." Seeing so many young people during my visits to the cancer center each day makes me believe the saying is very true.

More to come on young people and cancer, my progress in fighting cancer, arthritis, and my life in general.

No comments: